If you have any questions feel free to contact us at
HOW TO ORDER BUCKSKIN CLOTHING
If you have ever loved a movie about mountain men, trappers, frontiersmen or the peoples of the Great Plains. If you have loved the look of leather clothing or thought you were born a 100 or 1000 years too late. If you ever thought buckskin clothes were wonderful, on either men or women. If you ever thought that’s how you’d like to dress — you were right!
Buckskin is the most adventuresome "fabric" you could ever wear. It’s a total experience. It hugs you, changes shape to fit you, stretches with you. It wears like iron, doesn’t have to BE ironed and it’s MACHINE WASHABLE!
We, ourselves, have participated for many years in Black Powder Rendezvous, Pow Wow and S.C.A. (medieval) activities. Our photo gallery displays Native American garments but we do other styles as well. Buckskin clothing (and moccasins) apply to most cultural histories, from Asia to Europe to America with very minor differences, mostly decorative.
Our clothing is all custom-made in our workshop. We use primarily deer hide and some elk. Remember, this is a natural material so there will occasionally be scars or "bullet hole" repairs. We will always use the best, cleanest materials available. WE GUARANTEE OUR WORKMANSHIP but unfortunately we can only do our best on material, we cannot guarantee it. All seams are hand-stitched with artificial sinew, never by machine. Most of our garments are cut the old way, by measurements not patterns. We want them to fit correctly and last for a great many years. SparrowHawk, the artist/designer, still wears a pair of pants, an Eagle Wing shirt and a pair of moccasins that are 22 years old and they still look great.
We want you to be overjoyed with the result; for a lot of people, this is a real investment. Major pieces, like some of the more elaborate dresses or shirts, are signed and numbered. Purchasers of those items own that exact design/combination; it’s one of a kind. We will never even try to duplicate it. In any case, there will never be two quite alike!
We have some standard designs (see photo gallery) for you to choose from, we will design specifically for you or we will be happy to help you design for yourself. We are delighted when we are asked for Big or Tall orders, we consider them a fun challenge and look forward to them.
We also offer many decorative options: painted designs, directly on your leather or as appliqués; custom beadwork of all types — strips, rosettes or inseam beading, are the most common; leather in a wide range of colors, including turquoise and purple; assorted fur; thong and bead dangles; tooled leather; sculpted edges; or braided leather trim. Maybe YOU can think of something new to add to that list! NEVER BE AFRAID TO ASK!
You will find natural edges everywhere possible, so we never look ‘stamped out’ or ‘machined’. We are famous for using absolutely tons of fringe, as much as you could possibly want. As shown on the price sheet, fringe can be added to your design on a ‘per section’ cost basis, so let your imagination have wings!
As far as your personal design, all suggestions are welcome. Pictures, sketches (stick figures are just fine, we can’t draw either!), cut outs or copies from magazines, etc., are extremely useful. Your ideas are the one thing that makes this work!
We require an eight (8) week working time, longer for very elaborate pieces, but most deliveries are made way before the deadline. It depends on our workload in any given month. Orders are processed on a first-come, first- served basis; however, we do have a "rush" system. Rush costs are 10% of the total price per week cut from the contract — in other words if you need it three weeks early, it will cost 30% of the total bill extra.
Before work will begin, no exceptions, the following are mandatory:
1. A minimum 50% non-refundable deposit.
2. A completed and signed contract, describing an agreed-upon design.
We do accept payments while we are working if that is easier for you. The balance is due on delivery. We accept money orders and personal checks (please allow time to clear). We happily honor Master Card and Visa or we can send your order to you C.O.D. on completion if you prefer.
HOW TO ORDER:
1. Read these instructions thoroughly before proceeding. Read the contract carefully before signing.
2. Included lower on this page you will find a price sheet. Note: most things are modular — in other words your colors, decorations, beads sewn into the seams or the amount of fringe are collected into your finished design like puzzle pieces and that adjusts the price. Be sure to make your decisions and state them clearly. Some decorations can be added ‘next year’ but most cannot. If confused, call for SparrowHawk or E-mail us for help. We expect it!
3. You will also find a contract form. This needs to be filled out, signed and accompany the order.
4. You will find fitting sheets both front and back. Both sheets need to be filled out completely and accurately. Recruit a friend to help; some measurements are physically impossible to do on oneself. We keep these sheets on file for at least one year. If in doubt, call or E-mail!
5. We will probably need to have at least one verbal conference at some point anyway, so DO NOT HESITATE to call for SparrowHawk at 253-926-1200, E-mail us atYaTaHai@yatahai.com or simply write us a letter and include sketches, etc., as guidelines.1
FITTING SHEET DIRECTIONS
Measurements - Front
Measurements - Back
To use these fitting sheets. Click on the thumbnails and save the full size picture to your computer. You can then print them up as a reference to use while taking the measurements.
Many of the names we have chosen for the shirts are based on the individual we first created the particular shirt for. The basic styles are derived from historical data from many sources.